Bookseller and publisher.
Went to London (1752). Apprenticed to the bookseller George Keith. Opened a shop in Fish Street Hill (c. 1760). Moved to Paternoster Row, and entered into partnership, first with a Mr. Davenport, then with John Payne.
After his house and stock were destroyed by fire in 1770, he moved to a shop in St. Paul’s Churchyard, where he remained, without a partner, until his death.
One of the publishers of Dr. Joseph Priestley’s The History and Present State of Electricity. Published many important works of medicine, anatomy, and literature. In his later years, he was considered the father of the book trade.
Born in Everton, near Liverpool.