The leading civil engineer in France.
Named director of the newly formed Ecole des ponts et chaussées (1747). Served as inspecteur-general des salines (1757-86). Planned and supervised the construction of bridges such as the pont de Neuilly and the pont de Nemours. Constructed the canal de Bourgogne and the grand égout de Paris. Member of the Académie Royale des Sciences. Served with Franklin and others on the committee appointed by the Académie to advise on the construction of the magasin à poudre de l’Arsenal (1778-79).
Born at Suresnes, near Paris.