New Jersey farmer and army officer.
Farmed at Franklin Park, Rancocas, New Jersey. Justice of the peace (1775). Lieutenant colonel (1775), then colonel (1776) in the Continental army. Moved to western Pennsylvania (1788), where he rented land from George Washington.
Son of Benjamin and Rebecca (French) Shreve. Raised as a Quaker but was disowned for his military activities. Married (1) Grace Curtis (1760); four children. Married (2) Mary Cokely (1773); seven children.