French naval engineer and writer. Entered the French navy (1750), transferred to the army (1754), and reentered the navy with the rank of sous-ingénieur (1777). A noted authority on naval architecture, he sent Franklin a copy of his Essai géométrique et pratique sur l’architecture navale (Brest, 1776).
During the French Revolution, he was named ingénieur-constructeur en chef (1793), and placed in charge of the naval installations at Lorient. Served as director of the engineering school at Brest (1801-1810).
Born at Paris.